Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Right turn at the Prison

On Fri 17 Feb at 12:08pm cleanlicence wrote:
I was coming out of town the other day, westbound, and was set to turn right at the prison to go up towards haywards heath, as i was waiting a bus loomed up in my rear view mirrow, then mounted the pavement to get past me, shouting abuse at me , saying you cant turn right there! only more colourfully, well i cant see any thing to say you cant turn right there, anybody know any different?
On Fri 17 Feb at 12:15pm The Greek wrote:
I don't think there is any restriction? Although most people would normally use Spital Road so I wouldn't be surprised if there is.
Coming from Cooksbridge direction facing down the Hollow I saw someone skip a red light the other day. Seemingly thinking it was our turn he just drove straight through. Worrying.
On Fri 17 Feb at 12:22pm cleanlicence wrote:
trying to get out of spital can be hazardous when there is traffic all the way down to the lights blocking your view of traffic coming up the hill, they should put a yellow box in there.
On Fri 17 Feb at 12:47pm Miss Daisy wrote:
It is a bit annoying when people turn right there but there's no technical reason why you can't. Personally I find the Spital Road turning absolutely fine although wen the traffic is busy I'd probably nip down Ireland's
Lane, Bradford Road, Park Road (Lane? possibly), Along Prince Edwards then right at the end there. In fact unless I was starting from Westgate carpark or anywhere west of that, I'd have gone down past the Elly and up Prince Edwards from the bottom or along the Offham Road in the first place, I generally avoid the prison crossroads as it's almost always busy and people do seem to jump the lights there a lot.
On Fri 17 Feb at 1:11pm Google street maps wrote:
I've just looked and there is no restriction on R. turn there - it's just another @r$e in a bus . Shame you didn't get their reg. number. I had one in Eastbourne - I went round a small roundabout and the bus driver got irate because I had right of way. Worse still just 2 days ago I followed a car - from Horsebridge to Cross in hand and I'm convinced they were drunk - crossing the centre lines and brakes coming on @ random . But I was too far behind to see the number, due to a BMW that was in between. No excess speed BUT......... I'm going to get a dash cam - too many knob$ on the road.

On Fri 17 Feb at 2:43pm Bus driver wrote:
I was coming out of Lewes westbound the other day approaching the prison traffic lights. What did I find? Only some eejit in a car trying to turn right towards the Nevill. Why didn't they use common sense and turn right to go up Spital Road? Some people........

On Fri 17 Feb at 3:13pm cleanlicence wrote:
they? how many people did you see driving this car? should've gone to specsavers

On Fri 17 Feb at 4:06pm Sussex Jim wrote:
You can right turn from Western Road into Nevill Road; just as you can turn right (opposite) from Brighton Road into Winterbourne Hollow- causing similar congestion. The answer is a box across the end of Spital Road, as Cleanlicence suggested.
On Fri 17 Feb at 6:57pm Inthegutter wrote:
@cleanlicense before you criticise someone else's grammar perhaps you should learn some! "They" is an acceptable third person singular pro-noun and is used frequently where gender is unknown (or non-binary).

On Fri 17 Feb at 7:09pm Adele wrote:
All skill and common sense has been obliterated from driving these days ! Overtaking, has been made obsolete too.
On Fri 17 Feb at 7:10pm Bus Driver wrote:
Hey inthegutter, did i ask you to fight my battles for me? NO! keep out, anyway he was criticizing my eyesight not my grammar, its banter mate

On Fri 17 Feb at 7:16pm inthegutter wrote:
Pretty sure they were criticising your grammar mate, but whatever... pet peeve of mine is those people who get all angry at "fewer" vs. "less" etc.
On Fri 17 Feb at 7:20pm ar10642 wrote:
I remember there used to be a no-right turn sign there once. Seems to be gone now. So it either went missing or the rules were changed. Notice there are no direction signs pointing towards Haywards Heath and no painted right turn arrow, but there are coming the other way.
On Fri 17 Feb at 7:36pm cleanlicence wrote:
My point precisely, wouldnt you rather turn right there with the protection of the traffic light system, or take your life in your hands pulling out of a half blind unprotected T junction where any incident would definitely be your fault!
On Fri 17 Feb at 10:01pm Jester wrote:
Bus driver - your spelling is crap too! It's criticising without the letter Z!

On Sat 18 Feb at 7:38am Pronoun wrote:
No -
On Sat 18 Feb at 8:22am road user wrote:
You can indeed turn right to the Neville at the prison crossroads and yes the Spital road alternative is a death defying choice . However the real elephant in the room is the everyday congestion that now occurs at the prison junction stacking up in both directions . It is far far worse than it used to be and I'm talking months not years. I really can't work out why. It's completely unacceptable and appalling in terms of pollution - stationary engines idling in a highly built up area. It's a problem that needs to be addressed. I wonder if people totally abandoning train journeys because of the government's idealogical war on the unions is a contributing factor. From my experience people are only using trains nowadays when they absolutely have no other choice.
On Sat 18 Feb at 10:03am english teacher wrote:
I think jester has been looking at his dictionary through beer glasses, its Z.
besides that please dont go off topic.
traffic needs to flow better at those crossroads, encouraged to use other routes, a yellow box at the top of spital would make people feel safer using that T junction.
On Sat 18 Feb at 4:52pm Florence and Zeberdee wrote:
We still think that with a little bit of re-alignment, a roundabout would work perfectly well here. it would also do away with that forest of street furniture too.

On Sat 18 Feb at 11:11pm @english teacher wrote:
Jeez you are a tool English teacher, try learning to spell with a British dictionary not an American one before making stupid posts.

On Sun 19 Feb at 1:22pm Jane Austen wrote:
If you read my books, you will find that I often use spellings that are criticized for being "American". "Connexion" is a good example.
On Sun 19 Feb at 6:01pm David wrote:
I have suggested to the council highways dept that they put one of those curved mirrors on the post opposite Spital road so when you are turning right to Offham you can see if there is a gap in the traffic from the lights. There are always decent gaps as the lights change but because it becomes a blind corner you can't take advantage of them. As I live near that junction and use it all the time I even offered to pay for a mirror but they wrote back saying no because it would be a safety hazard! How can a mirror be more dangerous than no mirror?

On Sun 19 Feb at 9:40pm observer wrote:
It's one of the most dangerous intersections I've ever come across; it comes down quite simply to taking a chance. Ridiculous! But oh I forgot - the bankers and the rich just stole all our money: So no chance of changing it anytime soon.

On Mon 20 Feb at 11:28am Drive better wrote:
There have been eight accidents at the Spital Road junction since 1999, only one of them vaguely serious, it's really not a dangerous junction at all. Fore reference, there were 17 accidents at the prison crossroads in the same time period so anyone using the crossroads as a safer alternative to Spital Road is fooling themselves.

Check it out here »

On Mon 20 Feb at 6:13pm cleanlicence wrote:
how many of those involved traffic turning right from western road up Nevill road?, none i'd bet, northbound and southbound traffic are stationary at red lights, you only have to look straight ahead and wait your turn, in comparison to the hazard ofpulling out of spital, its a no brainer.

12 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bill Lewes
Bill Lewes

Woody what you're asking for is a house on the cheap. Let me know if you find one as I'd like one too more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane